Thursday, March 10, 2005

Making friends

I am amazed how we make friends! How we seem to click with some people in seconds & how you cannot get along with some people even though you know them for years.

To substantiate my point, let me tell you about my last week. I have been in the San Francisco Bay area for the last few days (read the blog before this for more on that). The reason I have been here is for a training & a technology conference hosted by the company that I work for.

During my training, I met Kris from Brussels, Belgium. And we incidentally happened to meet during a break in the training. And we got talking & we hit on like we've been friends for years. And so we followed that up with a visit to a pub close by. And we realised that we share a common passion...BEER!!! Kris mentioned that there are close to 350 breweries with more than 450 types of beer in Belgium (how can you not like this country...no wonder the EU is based out of Brussels!)

And so we followed that up with some more pubs & a lot more beer. And a lot of chatting. And now I have a friend in Brussels, just like that! Strange how things work, huh?

Let me give you another example. Shesh works with me in the same company. Shesh moved back to India from the US a year back. And we met at Singapore for a training. And we both realised that we shared the same interests. Music, movies, beer! And we hit off like a house on fire! Just like that... in a day! And tho he is moving back to the US, I think we will remain friends for a long, long time.

Funny how we meet people & make friends! This is the Hindu view of creation! Creation from nothing, emptiness, void! Thank God for small mercies!

No comments: