Monday, February 12, 2007

Look how they are hawking it now

This is a picture I see almost everyday at the MRT station at Clarke Quay.

Now you tell me...what the hell does that mean? Vanity is a virtue now? The advert shows a woman with a lot of attitude sitting right next to this picture.

I mean, how much more deplorable does the situation get? Vanity is a virtue?

Yeah, go out there and buy yourself a big diamond. Or better still, get someone else to buy it for you. The occasion does not matter. It can be Valentine's Day, your anniversary / birthday, you got a manicure, anything. As long as it buys your mate a little bit of peace and a few brownie points.

Cause Vanity is a virtue. I guess temperence and humility are sins these days. This is the point I am beginning to feel extremely uncomfortable in this world. I think my daughter is going to grow up in a world where marketing slogans define identity and behaviour, where brands decide the essence of existance and where being different is only encouraged in powerpoint presentations and on billboards.

Not sure which road the world is taking, but I don't like the road signs!

No comments: