Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Pathetic round of golf

I am a 18 handicapper & so usually play every round to between 86 and 88.

Just when I thought my swing was coming together & felt consistent, it had to disappear right in the middle of a the round, right after a fairly decent front nine.

I was playing to 9 over after nine holes and the triple bogey at the 1st had a significant contribution to the score.

I really hate that first hole at the Bangalore Golf Club (BGC). Not that it's a very difficult hole. It is, in fact a fairly easy hole. Problem is, at the start of the round, I tend to miss to the left (as I am natural drawer of the ball) and so I end up on the 18th fairway with no approach to the green & I am left with the only option of chipping back to the 1st fairway & get going.

As luck would have it, my putts on the 1st green refused steadfastly to drop & so I three putted to make my triple bogey. Not a good start to a round, I assure you.

But then, the fighter in me came back to life. I parred the next 2 holes, double bogeyed the 4th & parred the next. Bogeyed the really long par 4 index one 6th, parred the 7th & missed par by a whisker on the 9th. That left me with 9 over on the back nine. Not something out of the blue for an 18 handicapper. So I was playing to my handicap.

I started the back nine by parring the 10th. And I thought I was on a roll. It looked like my swing was back & it was consitently swishing down the path that took the ball where it was supposed to go. Boy, was I wrong!

The double bogey jamboree started from the 11th tee & did not relent until the 16th & 17th, which of which I parred. That was 10 strokes in 5 holes. All my dreams of making a good round were shattered. Then I had to go and miss par by a whisker on the 18th as well. What is it with me and the final holes of the front and back nines?

I finally wound up my game with a 91. Now most people on the golf course would be happy to go back home with a 91. But I was really pissed. I hit 7 pars & missed 4 birdie chances. At this rate, I should have had a lot better score. But I did not.

Hitting 7 pars in a round is the maximum I have done...EVER! And yet, I am pissed. I am not at all satisfied with the way I played today. I think I need to start being a lot more consistent, even with my pre-shot routine. That is the only way I am going to get my scores down & feel happy with my game.

Problem is: I don't think I am ever going to feel happy with my game. I realised that as you start playing better & better, you want to get even better & there lies the misery.

What a game! Makes you miserable after you played a reasonably good round of golf. But that does not stop die-hard golfers like me. The next round is already planned! Hopefully the next post on my golfing will be a lot more cheerful!

Or maybe not!

You'll know when it gets here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blah Blah Blah... Golf is a game of character... you speak so much so chance of distraction is too high... some meditation, proper warmup, correct choice of irons on different situation and also good equipment are the key points on which you should concentrate rather than blah blah blah... a single tensed muscle in your body and worry about your performance will screw your day.