Thursday, February 10, 2005

Kids...they can really surprise you!

A background on this topic. I have a four & half year old daughter. Needless to say, she's the apple of my eye. My baby! Ever since she's born, everything I have done is for her to have a better life.

I usually have a lot of music playing in my house & she's usually the only one in my house who is there listening to it with me & dancing along. How she picks up music is a mystery to me, fact remaining that she does it with alarming precision.

The other day (while I was playing some music...not surprising), she walked up to me & said that she wanted to make a CD of here favourite songs (She calls it her "Favourite song CD" and not by any other name). So I gladly obliged & sat down to compile a list. What eventually came out took my breath away & left me stunned (and proud).

Here's the list (in that order...she wouldn't take it in any other order):

Home by now / No matter what..........Meatloaf
Jealous Guy.......................................John Lennon
Bulla Ki Jana......................................Rabbi Shergill
White Flag..........................................Dido
Don't Tell Me.....................................Avril Lavigne
Midnight blue....................................Jeff Lynne
Learning to fly...................................Pink Floyd
Eleanor Rigby....................................The Beatles
Walk Of Life.......................................Dire Straits
Hopelessly devoted to you....................Olivia Newton John
I can't make you love me......................Bonnie Raitt
Summer Holiday.................................Cliff Richards
Holding Out for A Hero.......................Frou Frou (from the Shrek 2 OST )
Jab Kabhi...........................................Jhankaar Beats (Hindi movie OST)
Woman...............................................John Lennon
Coming back to life..............................Pink Floyd
New York Minute................................The Eagles
7 seconds.............................................Yousson D'our & Neneh Cherry
It's probably me..................................Sting with Eric Clapton


PHEW!!!! I was amazed at the choice of music of this 4 & 1/2 year old kid & her ability to know all the lyrics by heart.

What really amazed me was not the fact that she knew all the lyrics, but that she APPRECIATED them & was curious as to what the song means (eg. in Eleanor Rigby, "....darning his socks in the night (What's darning?)" & "...wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave (What's a grave & why is he wiping the dirt?)" WOW.

So I enthusiastically signed her up for piano classes. In this part of the world, that's a bit too early to do that. She surprised me (pleasantly) again. She sat, completely attentive, for her first class & memorised the positions of the keys in a jiffy. She went one step further. After we came back from the class, she quietly went to her room, found my old tiny keyboard & started playing & memorising the keys all over again.

Man (sorry ladies), she keeps me on my toes all the time.

I was fiddling around with my golf clubs the other day & she asks me how to swing a golf club. So I show her. And she repeats it almost exactly. Flawlessly! Sigh!

I have to tell you this (and I'm sure a lot of you agree with me...well, most of you who have kids), it's the most satisfying experience in the world to watch your kid do what he/she does & the apparent ease with which they do it.

By this ramble, you must have guessed that I am completely head-over-heels when it comes to my baby. And I think she's going to make me one proud father!

Sigh!

No comments: